Saturday, February 23, 2008

Full swing

Yes, I know. I'm so bad at updating this. No excuses. I'm just sorry.

So, i've been back now for nearly two months and it feels like I never left. Which is good as everything is familiar. I can't walk to the Souk (market) without people greeting me and saying hello (so it can take a while to get what i wanted from the market). But I love it. It's nice to know people and feel you belong - even though I know I never will.

Work is going ok. Trying to do about 300 household latrines, and 600 sandfilters, and a large hafir sandfilter, and four institutional latrines (finished four in the middle of January), and hopefully start drilling and installing some handpumps! The exciting thing is seeing communities do things for themselves. I'm a big supporter of community contribution, and although it takes longer, it has better benefits, i believe, as the communities look after what we give them. For example, sandfilter, we ask the communities to bring the sand and gravel to go in them. And it takes longer, but its wonderful for us and the communities when we install 40 filters in one day and we know both parties have contributed. It's a great feeling! Makes it all worthwhile. It's the same with the water committees i'm trying to set up. We've finally got them doing monthly minutes of their meetings (getting them to hold meetings was hard enough). And there's also the water quality testing laboratory we're trying to establish...

Everything is hard work, constant pushing and constant problems...but we get there in the end...not always on time...but i can only try and do my best...

xx

2 comments:

Aaron Stewart said...

Fantastic update Becks! God bless you.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Projetores, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://projetor-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.